Friday, September 03, 2010

Yes, I've been knitting...

It's The Beaded Diamond Shawl by Catherine Devine. The pattern was first published in the magazine Knit 'N Style, December 2006. I was able to purchase a kit from Earthfaire. The yarn is from Schaefer, called Andrea (100% silk) in the Margaret Mead colorway. Like I said in an earlier post, this project starts with a knitted band from which stitches are picked up along the side. So the band turns into the collar (of sorts). The band is continued on as you knit and becomes a border (very clever!). It becomes a 4 - part triangular shawl, with each row getting longer and longer. At first, a row would only take 5 minutes; towards the end, a row would take an hour! There is a bead in the center of each square. I used a crochet hook to put the bead on every 8th row.



This is a close-up of the stitches.

I purchased this fiber from a website in Great Britain called Fyberspates. It was a closeout called, "Sea Mist." It is a merino/silk/nylon/silver blend, I think because of the nylon it is for socks. But I will be using it for the pattern Aolian Shawl by Elizabeth Freeman from The Knitty.

No comments: